When it comes to transport of heavy bikes such as MTB or E-bikes, the e-SCORPION XL2 would be the supreme choice. Quick attachment system, high load capacity, fully foldable, fully assembled, easy-to-use with great stability, durability and a touch of roughness in the design make it one of the best bike racks in the market.
We think that e-Scorpion XL deserves to be a top choice for anyone who wants to carry 2 bikes, especially larger, heavy bikes or electric bikes, with regular or fat tyres. It’s a hugely versatile rack that can take a big range of different types of bikes. Whatever bike you have now (or in the future) the e-Scorpion XL should be able to accommodate it.
Bike carriers that are strong enough for electric bikes tend to be pretty beefy themselves, so handling these heavier bike carriers can be awkward. The Scorpion is a solid carrier at 20.8kg, but because it folds up it’s relatively very easy to move about and to fit, without straining your back. It’s even got an integrated transport wheel so you won’t have to do much lifting of the rack.
Just wheel it to the tow ball in the folded position – lift the handle above the tow ball clamp, place it over the tow ball – you’ll be standing above the tow ball, not some distance behind it. You’ll also find that the e-Scorpion XL stays level and does not crash to the ground when you let go of it. Tighten, lock, unfold – all parts click into place, including the number plate holder.
It’s particularly easy to tilt, with the tilt control just above the number plate. The lights are 5 function – they include a reversing light and a fog light if you have a 13 pin socket.
Other features and specifications:
- The patented clamping system fits to all standards 50mm tow balls.
- The Buzz e-Scorpion XL is particularly well balanced – you can let go once you’ve placed it on the tow ball, which makes fitting the rack much easier.
- You mount it to the tow ball from folded, this gives you loads of space to fit it to the car (no bashing shins or straining your back).
- It’s easy to fit to the tow ball. Fitting is a matter of pushing down a lever, a really quick, easy and ergonomically satisfactory thing to do. Turn the key and the carrier is then locked to the tow ball. Additional adjustment is included (using the small red knob), depending on the tow ball, to make sure the carrier is firm.
- It sits high on the tow ball, well clear of speed bumps and other hazards such as steep ferry ramps.
- The steel wheel holders will accommodate larger wheelbases up to 129.5cm and fat tyres up to 4.5″. Nice soft protective covers will protect your wheels from getting scratches.
- Ratchet straps allow a quick and secure attachment of the wheels, long straps can accommodate tyres up to 4” wide.
- Lockable frame arms hold your bikes securely and can be attached to any part of the frame, or the seat post.
- Locks to the tow ball.
- The upright frame can be raised so it’s suitable for bikes with very large frames. Its width makes the fit much easier for large frames.
- It tilts to allow access to the boot, even with the bikes fitted. It is genuinely easy to tilt and well balanced during the tilting phase.
- Dimensions: 127 x 69cm deep (measured from the centre of the tow ball to the outside edge of the number plate holder).
- Weight: 20.8kg.
- It folds so you can easily store it in your boot when required, making finding a parking space before your ride much easier. It’s even small enough to fit it in the back of most cars if your boot is full.
- A built-in transport wheel makes it as easy as possible to get the rack to and from your car. You won’t even need to lift the rack until you put it on the tow bar. Because it folds it’s much easier to maneuver.
- Comes with a 5 function 13 pin lighting system (3 function 7 pin flat plug for AUS/NZ)
- All parts are replaceable if e.g. someone forgets that a tow bar carrier is fitted and reverses into a wall – which happens!
- A loading ramp is available separately.
- The build quality – tube bending, welding, rust proofing, painting, component quality, is exemplary. All tools you might need are provided.
- We also think it looks great!
- Not suitable for trailers, campers, or RVs. These vehicles need special racks that require much stronger specifications due the dynamics involved.
Max number of bikes: 2
Max weight per bike: 30kg
Max load capacity: 60kg
Max tire size: 4″
Fits 50mm ISO tow ball: yes
Dimensions (width x depth): 127 x 69 cm
(measured from the centre of the tow ball mount to the outside edge of the number plate holder).
Integrated lighting board: yes
Lighting board plug type: 13 pin (7 pin flat plug for AUS/NZ)
Bike carrier to tow ball lock: yes
Bike carrier to bike lock: yes
The maximum permitted load you can carry is also determined by the tow bar nose weight; you will need to check you don’t exceed this before using any tow ball mounted bike carrier.
Requires 65mm clearance from center of tow ball to rear of vehicle.
INSTRUCTIONS - VIDEO
Click on the link below to download: