Max bike weight
For ISO50mm Tow ball
65 mm space between bumper and tow ball
Lock to tow ball
Distance between bars
XP R18-904-4 compliant
Not for RV, Trailers or special vehicles
50mm tow ball
So what’s the big deal about Moose? It’s down to better design, better quality, better safety, overall ease of use. Consider the following:
- These carriers are supplied ready to go; no assembly work is required.
- The patented conical tow ball clamp fits onto all 50mm diameter tow balls, even the ones which don’t meet BS standards with e.g. rough casting around the tow ball neck.
- Fitting is a matter of spinning a hand-turning wheel, a really quick, easy and ergonomically satisfactory thing to do. Turn the key in the tightening wheel and the carrier is then locked to the tow ball. Additional tensioning of a Nylock nut is sometimes required (spanner supplied), depending on the tow ball, to make sure the carrier is firm.
- It’s fine engineering, and strong – the Moose has been TÜV approved to the proposed ISO standard R18-904-4, a standard some way tougher than current requirements.
- Tilting is a safe single-handed operation, even with the bikes fitted. The Moose 4 tilts to allow access to the boot on most cars. If you have a van or an MPV with a vertical tailgate, and you want to be able to access the boot with the bikes loaded, we recommend the Atera STRADA DL3.
- The bike frame holders need to be adjusted on the support arms first time out – distances between bikes may vary – before being tightened in place (tool supplied). They have properly padded cradles and easily adjusted rubber straps.
Other features and specifications:
- The support arms are 28cm apart, centre to centre, a distance which will suit the majority of modern frames; we supply a telescopic cross bar for use with non standard frames – see below.
- Two top quality 200cm safety straps are also provided (buckles sewn not crimped). One of these should be threaded through all the bike wheels to prevent swaying and friction damage – it’s up to you to provide any extra protection required – and the other should be passed through all the bike frames and then looped around the carrier.
- The bike holder arms should be moved from the horizontal to the vertical for storage, or when the vehicle is parked up.
- Dimensions: 84.5cm high from the centre of the ball and 52cm deep from ball centre.
- Weight: 8.3kg.
- A lighting board will be needed – see below. We also list an electrical adapter which will be needed if you buy our standard 7 pin lighting board and also have a 13 pin electrical system.
- The build quality – tube bending, welding, rust proofing, painting, component quality – is exemplary.
- The maximum permitted load you can carry is also determined by the tow bar nose weight; you will need to check you don’t exceed this before using any tow ball mounted bike carrier.
- Requires 65mm clearance from center of tow ball to rear of vehicle.
- Not suitable for trailers, campers, or RVs